- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Granny Smith (or other tart apple) peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons honey (to drizzle on baked cake)
- Pre-heat oven to 160° and line the base of a 20 cm round baking tin with baking paper. Coat paper base and sides of tin with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of the ground cinnamon over the base and arrange apple slices in a single layer over the cinnamon.
- Cream butter and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla while beating in the eggs.
- Mix together flour and baking powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
- Add 1/2 milk and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Repeat above and finish with final 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
- Pour cake mix over the apple slices and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until sides come away from the tin slightly and cake bounces back when touched in the middle.
- Turn the cake out immediately and peel baking paper off to reveal the apple and cinnamon top
- Drizzle with honey.
Serve warm with ice-cream or cold with thick cream.
Amended from the original recipe you can find here.